HAYVAN HAKLARINDA UMUT IŞIĞI
Avukat Ahmet Kemal Şenpolat’ın 10 yıllık mücadelesi (www.birdamlayasam.org) sonunda nihayet Hayvanları Koruma Yasasında önerdiği değişiklikler TBMM Çevre Komisyonu tarafından kabul edildi. Hayvan hakları konusunda çok önemli bir adım olarak gördüğümüz ve desteklediğimiz bu taslağı, son dakika müdahalelerine kurban edilmeden yasalaşması dileğiyle yayınlıyoruz.
SHKD ve EHD
HOPE FOR IMPROVEMENT IN ANIMAL RIGHTS
As a result of Attorney Ahmet Kemal Şenpolat’s struggle for 10 years, an agreement has been reached with the Turkish Parliament Environment Commission about the proposal of amendment to the current animal protection law. We wish this proposal which is indeed a big step towards the improvement of animal rights to be approved at the parliament without being subject to last minute changes.
The articles that are agreed upon with the commission are:
1. The concept of “ornamental animal” will be eliminated from the law.
2. It is prohibited for animals to be kept at care centers more than the time required for its neutering and vaccination. Permanent dwelling at the center should only be limited to those animals that are weak, handicapped or sick.
3. All land and water circuses that use animal will be banned in Turkey.
4. Trade of all animals at pet-shops will be banned except birds and fishes.
5. The concept “dangerous breed” will be eliminated and replaced by “dangerous dog” meaning dogs that show aggression towards humans because of mistakes made during their training. No breed will be prohibited, instead, wearing of a month mask should be enforced for such animals.
6. The article in the amendment proposal that anticipates a prison penalty for owners that keep dangerous breeds who refuse to deliver their dogs to authorities will be eliminated.
7. The article that orders all animals to be collected in ecological parks is to be eliminated.
8. The article that brings a limit to the number of animals looked after at a private home is eliminated.
9. Internet sites about animal fights will be banned by a change made in internet law no. 5651
10- Cruelty towards and killing of animals will not be regarded as “fault” but be considered as juridical crime and be given prison penalty which is to be doubled if the person who commits the crime is somebody who is appointed for such a job.
11-In case of an animal kept in a closed place by its owner, the police will be given the authority to confiscate the animal with the permission of public prosecutor.
The articles that were proposed but not agreed upon:
1. A person should not be forced to move his house because of a clause in the apartment management plan prohibiting pet ownership and this should only be subject to the proof that the animal is disturbing neighbors.
2. There should be no article that gives legal status to experimentation on animals.
3. There should be no exception made to the prohibition of killing animals, such as law no. 5996.
4. Zoo’s should completely be banned.
5. Animal fights including the folkloric ones should completely be banned.
6. Penalties given to torture, killing and rape of animals should not be postponed under any condition.
7. Import of animals that are subject to trade at petshops should be banned for 10 years (temporary item 10)
8. Sacrifice of animals in front of people for show purposes should be banned.
9. Public persecutors should be given the authority to open a proceeding about cruelty towards animals even in cases where there is no complaint.